be forewarned that a bash fan is writing this message with little to no
perl/c++ experience.

i have a file $file that is full of usernames and descriptions, one per
line. i have another variable $username that i would like to compare against
each line in the file and remove the line that matches the
username field identically.

$filename

charles         routers
craig           systems
tony            portmasters

i would think that a while loop could do this and possibly write the
output, minus the line i want to take away to a temp file and then copy it
over. in bash i would use a statement like:

while read i; do
  < blah >
done < $filename > $filename.tmp

however i am not certain how to read in the contents of a file for
comparison within a while loop. this is just going to be an uphill thread
since my next question will be for the < blah > portion :)

thanks in advance -charles

--
**
There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: