Sorry if this is a noob question, I have used PERL, TCL and VB but I am just
getting into PHP.  If there is a better place to ask noobie questions then
let me know.

I want to use the include statement but I want to pass the name of the file
rather than hard code it.  It seems that PHP needs the file to be in its
defined PATH in order to do this (or am I wrong?).

My code works OK if I use hard coding

Example (works)

include ('somefile.php')

Example (doesn't work)

$TheFile = "somefile.php"

include ($TheFile)

Am I trying to do  something that is impossible?

If it is a path problem then how do I get around this, I can control my
local server config but I only have a local server for development.

Thanks,
Jeff