i dont know why you wouldnt just use the
disable_functions directive in php.ini

disable_functions = "exec"

this will indeed raise an error, well a warning rather, from my test
[12-Sep-2007 19:22:24] PHP Warning:  exec() has been disabled for security
reasons

but i always suppress warnings and errors to the browser in production
anyway, which is good practice.  i dont see a problem letting the warnings
spit out in preproduction either, then
developers would get the hint..

-nathan
in /home/nathan/testDisable.php on line 2