I am using str_replace to strip double quotes.

$string = 'This string has "quotes" in it';

$string = str_replace('"', '', $string);

this seems to work, yet when I put the $string into mysql,
it uses backslashes to escape where the quotes were. The
double-quotes are gone, yet it still escapes the 'ghost'
where they were.

I even tried
str_replace(array("\x8c", "\x9c", "'", '"'), '', $string)
but the ghost remains and mysql continues to escape them.

I check the charsets, and the db is Latin-1 and the sting is ISO-8859-1

Any thoughts on this would be most graciously accepted.
Kind regards
kevin