On Saturday 22 September 2007 7:44:55 pm Jeff Cohan wrote:
> Dan Parry wrote:
> > I might be wrong but this would be classed as
> > 'exploitable'... Webservers should not be allowed
> > to read from or write to clients... Of course there
> > is ActiveX...
>
> I think we're off the point.
>
> My script is simply interrogating the value of the
> $_FILES[userfile][size] array element. It's coming up as ZERO if it
> exceeds the MAX_FILE_SIZE.

Exactly, no valid file was uploaded. The size of the valid file is therefore
zero.

> That seems odd to me.
> But maybe that's
> the way it's SUPPOSED to work. That's why I started this thread out
> with "What am I missing?".
>
> Said another way:
>
> It seems that the server had to know the size of the file in order
> to know it exceeded MAX_FILE_SIZE. So how can my script find out the
> size?

Can you use Javascript to check file size client side, send data via AJAX then
issue warnings? (Remember the php mantra: "PHP is a server side language" )

As noted in the php.net documentation you quoted, and as mentioned previously,
MAX_FILE_SIZE is a _hint_ to the browser. some browsers just don't take
hints.
Ray