Merlin,

if you are using php5 the var keyword is no longer valid; that was used in
classes in php4.
if you want to structure your classes properly you need to study PPP
(public, private, protected) access modifiers.
typically member variables are declared to be private or protected, if there
will be child
objects that will access them directly.  to provide access to said member
variables
creates public method.  public methods are visible to external code and have
access to the
private members, be they variables or methods.

-nathan