""Nathan Nobbe"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> there is no way to create an abstract class in php4.

Oh yes there is! I knw, because I have done it! The definition of an
abstrract class is one that cannot be instantiated into an object. It can,
however, be extended into a subclass, and that subclass can be instantiated
into an object.

Although in PHP 5 this can be achieved by using the "abstract" keyword in
the class definition, in PHP 4 you can achieve exactly the same result by
defining a method in the abstract class which contains code which forces an
error, but when redefined in the subclass this code is replaced so that it
does not cause an error.

The end result is the same, but the mechanism is different.

> in an abstract class definition subclasses are forced to implement those
> methods
> that have been declared abstract.  or they are allowed to declare the
> method
> as abstract themselves and force their children to provide a concrete
> definition.
> the only way to achieve this in php4 is to have an essentially empty
> definition in a

Not an empty definition, but one that contains code which triggers an error.

> class and through external documentation or communication w/ other
> developers,
> indicate the function need be overridden to be usable.
> communicating externally, something that could be communicated inside the
> language
> itself is very delicate, one that would not do well in a scenario with a
> large
> number of developers.
>
> interfaces introduce the concept of design-by-contract.  they are very
> powerful because
> they give code another avenue to be polymorphic.

You DO NOT need interfaces to activate a class method.

You DO NOT need interfaces to utilise polymorphism.

>  inheritance is often
> overused because
> people dont understand the power of composition and the benefit of
> interfaces to facilitate
> composition.

Just because SOME people overuse inheritance does not mean that EVERYBODY
overuses inheritance. My class structure is only two levels deep - an
abstract superclass with any number of concrete subclasses underneath it.

> for people coming to php4 from languages like java, or even .net; anything
> that
> implements proper access control mechanisms, abstract classes and
> interfaces; those
> people may be able to design systems w/ php4 that are properly structured.

You do not need access contol mechanisms or interfaces to write properly
structured code.

> starting out w/
> php4 and trying to learn oop will likely lead individuals into bad
> practices
> that they cannot foresee
> until years down the road, when their systems are growing at a slow rate
> and
> they have to
> figure out why or somebody who understands oop comes in and explains where
> the problems are.
>
> the most common mistake i encounter with oop php4 is accessing class
> member
> functions directly.
> this is a complete violation of encapsulation and php4 provides no way to
> enforce it.

Absolute rubbish. Keeping data private has nothing to do with encapsulation.

> yes, php4 does provide some of the fundamental oop facilities and its all
> the community had for a while.
> the bottom line is the facilities it offers for oop are bare and i see no
> reason to try to understand its
> peculiarities and weaknesses when php5 is here and php6 is on the way.

Rubbish. PHP 4's implementation of OO supports classes, objects,
encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism. That is more than enough for a
competent programmer. Everything else is eye candy.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net