At 1:26 PM -0400 10/5/07, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
strange; i missed that when i put it together; my bad, it was late.
here is a revision that works.

    <head>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            window.onload = function() {
                var someLink = document.getElementById('someLink');
                someLink.href += "&anotherVar=8";
                alert(document.getElementById('someLink').href);
            }
        </script>
    </head>
        <a id="someLink" href=" http://somesite.com?a=5";>
            click here
        </a>

the problem was the local variable was being assigned the value of the
attribute, not the reference
to the tag in the dom.  i have now set it to be a reference to the variable
in the dom.

-nathan:

Not that I provided information otherwise, but document.getElementById won't work in this case because there are several links involved. As such, I have to use document.getElementByClass and that has problems.

Unfortunately, my solution isn't unobtrusive.

However, I couldn't see a way to make it so.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

Cheers,

tedd

--