David Christopher Zentgraf wrote:
> On  23. Oct 2007, at 17:22, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> Do rpm -qa --nosignature | grep -i mysql and see what old libraries you
>> have lying around. Specifically look for the devel libraries/packages.
>> Remove the 3.x versions via RPM and make sure you've installed the
>> relevant -devel package from MySQL 5.
>>
>> You can also use the MySQL 5 -shared-compat package to replace the
>> shared libraries needed by other apps in Fedora, although you may have
>> to do an "rpm -e --nodeps" to get rid of the currently installed library
>> prior to installing -shared-compat due to file conflicts. I always like
>> to test that this has worked tho (typically testing one of the apps in
>> the packages rpm moaned about when doing a normal "rpm -e" (sans
>> --nodeps) or by trying to rpm -e the newly installed -shared-compat just
>> to make sure it is providing the correct deps at least!
>
> I did install the shared-compat package (sorry, forgot to mention),
> which littered libmysqlclient.so.10 to .so.15 around my /usr/lib, and I
> guess that PHP is using .so.10 for some reason instead of .so.15 (or
> simply libmysqlclient.so, which is symlinked to .so.15).
> Are you saying that it's save to remove the old libs or the whole
> shared-compat package and simply install the current libs instead? I was
> thinking about it, but then again, these things are there for
> compatibility, so I hoped there was a way to explicitly tell PHP to use
> the latest version while leaving the others around.

The .so file (without the .10 or .15) is just used for compile time
linking, it's not used at runtime.

No, the shared-compat is the correct one ot use here as some of the core
Centos rpms may need a mysql v3 compatible client library.

If you compile PHP and it finds v3 of mysql that means that you must
have the old development libraries for mysql 3 installed in some
capacity (I believe).

What is the output of:
rpm -qa --nosignature --nodigest | grep -i mysql

This should give some clues.

I would imagine (don't know) that PHP would use the mysql_config program
to work out which mysql is installed and get the relevent cflags and
linking options. For me this is provided by the
MySQL-devel-community-5.0.27 package from MySQL... Is this definitely
installed?

Col