Thank you, Daniel Brown, Richard Buskirk, Robert Cummings, David Giragosian
~ and anyone else who may have jumped in to my message within the last
minute or two, trying to help me.

Below is the message I was writing to ask someone (who I didn't know) just
how to participate in a mailing list. I've never done this - but it seems
all I had to do was send a message to this address. Strange. For me, strange
indeed. But - I am appreciative of the concept and a little bewildered by
the options that seem to be available...

OK - stupidity aside - I have a real question and don't know how to find an
answer. I write html, have for years. I have many web sites, and lately have
run aground trying to determine how my competition is able to load pages
exceedingly fast. It appears the site uses php, and crosslinks to pages
within the site load blindingly fast. There does not appear to be frames
involved, but the tables that contain the web page bracket a display area in
the center of each page that makes the site appear to be frame oriented. My
question: how is php able to load this page so quickly? I realize that I
might not be permitted to show a page (provide a URL) as an illustration of
my point - I am certainly not advertising anything. The site in question
belongs to a volunteer fire department, and I am donating my time trying to
create a comparable page for my own volunteer fire department. I just can't
seem to figure out what this php is all about and how it might help load a
page so fast.

Below is from that original behemoth of a message that you all laughed at...
Thank you for your time!

John B. Moss

I feel so stupid! I am trying to learn php, so am attempting to get involved
with a php-related mailing list. The problem: I have no familiarity - none -
with mailing list protocols. So - it seems simple - get on a mailing list,
ask for help in getting through what I need to know, then participate as my
need to know directs me.

I find a mailing list related to php - I think. Seems right -
"lists.php.net". I 'subscribe' (I think) to a 'General user list' which
suggests "This is a really high volume general list for PHP users". I think
this is what I want - but I have no idea what subscribing to it means, other
than to suppose that I will get some emails from the group. I chose to get
the 'Digest', as opposed to the 'Normal', list since I interpret this to
mean I get 1 (or 2) mailings a day with many messages embedded, as opposed
to many many messages all day long, all the time. Since I have no idea (and
doubt) that I am interested in all of these, and since I want to pick and
choose what I read, I'm guessing the 'Digest' suits my purpose.

Problem: how to see what's actually involved, once I receive my subscription
confirmation? It seems to me that a 'help' function is the answer, but -
look below -  when I send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] - I receive
this message in response! Repeating the request means getting this response
each time! Apart from feeling that this is insane, where do I turn? How do I
find out what is on the list, begin receiving messages, and determine the
protocol for participating?

For folks who have been on mailing lists since the beginning of the web,
this all seems foolish I'm sure. But if I can't take the suggestion for
accessing help literally (why not?) it seems there should be a logical
substitution argument that would apply. To explain: if in the example I am
to replace 'lists.php.net' with something else, in order to get general
help, what might that something else be? Where do I deduce the
name/replacement value? Why don't the instructions for doing this exist? Why
isn't there 'Help' for getting 'help'?

I can read as well as the next person:  "This is a generic help message. The
message I received wasn't sent to any of my command addresses." What is
meant by the term 'my command addresses'? I sent the message as explicitly
directed. If the 'command address' is something which replaces
'lists.php.net' how am I to understand that, if directed to get help and a
description of available commands from that address?

I am attempting to send this message directly, but if this fails I will
attempt the 'Forward:' technique, as explained also below.

John B. Moss