On 11/1/07, Rahul Sitaram Johari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> 1) Checked!
> >> 2) Checked!
> >> 3) It is symlinked indeed!! Where in httpd.conf do I need to specify
> >> FollowSymLinks? I'm running Apache 2.2.6 with PHP 5.2.4 on Mac OS X 10.5
> >
> >     Bah!  Sorry to give you false hope on that, Rahul.  I re-read the
> > post and my responses, and Apache would actually have nothing to do
> > with this particular problem.  In any case, in your httpd.conf file,
> > you can enable FollowSymLinks near your AllowOverride directives.  It
> > won't help in this case, but that's where it resides, nonetheless.
> >
> >     If you `su -` to the user as which the PHP script is running, does
> > that user have permission to access the Windows share?  Are you
> > running this from the CLI or the web (I just noticed in the email you
> > just sent to Rob that it's a web error message).
> >
> >     Try this:
> >
> >     Take *just* that part of the script and run it from the CLI as
> > yourself to see if you can "see" the file.  If not, try it as root.
> > If you can, then `su -` to the account under which Apache is
> > daemonized.  You may need to update /etc/passwd to allow a shell to be
> > opened for that account.
> >
> >     When running the simple script from the CLI as the web server
> > account, can you see the file?  Can you change to that directory?
> >
> >     It may very well be that the account under which Apache runs is
> > jailed/chroot'ed.
>
> Well FollowSymLinks was present in my httpd.conf, and it's definitely not
> the problem. I think the problem is the fact that on in Panther, I was able
> to specify Apache Web Server to be the User/Group for the share being
> mounted with -u 70 -g 70 during mount_smbfs.
>
> In Leopard I'm not able to do that because they eliminated the -u -g
> arguments for mount_smbfs - in fact they even eliminated NetInfo Manager so
> I don't even know Apache's UID & GID.
>
> So after mounting the share on the share point, this is what happens:
> http://www.troyjobs.com/media/smb.gif (It's a screenshot of difference
> between Panther & Leopard on the same folder showing different User/Group).
>
> As you can see files within the mounted share had "www" (Apache) as the user
> & group and PHP didn't have any problems accessing the files. But in
> Leopard, "www" (Apache) is not the user/group.
>
> I don't know what you have to do in Leopard to mount a share giving it a
> User/Group of your choice.
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rahul Sitaram Johari
> CEO, Twenty Four Seventy Nine Inc.
>
> W: http://www.rahulsjohari.com
> E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> ³I morti non sono piu soli ... The dead are no longer lonely²

    Rahul,

    The image you showed indicates that there is no user account
associated with UID 501 on Leopard.  That particular UID is, on most
*nix-based systems, the second-lowest-available default UID for a
user-created account (starting at 500, unless you specify otherwise).

    Try creating an account on Leopard (you may have to do two, unless
you want to edit /etc/passwd) and then `ls -l` the Leopard view of the
share again.  You'll see 501 disappear and be replaced by the name
associated with UID 501.  Then just see what the GID associated with
the group 'admin' is and update that, if need be.

    The fix for this could be as simple as `su -`'ing to root and
chown'ing the directory to the UID/GID of the web server, but I don't
know how much conflict that will cause for the rest of your system, so
that's entirely up to you.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.  Then you'll find out he was
allergic and is hospitalized.  See?  No good deed goes unpunished....