Server can't access files on clients computers as they wish or it would be madness. Nothing would be secure. However you can get to the file if you make it public in some way and with some restrictions. Therea are several methods: 1. (wich i think is best) install a ftp server and "share" the file through the server. use the php's ftp function to access the file 2. install a webserver like apache and place the file you want in the web-root folder (the public on). use fopen or whatever you want to open the file.

you must keep in mind that in order to do this you have to have a public ip adress (you can't do it if youre behind nat)

Jon Westcot wrote:
Hi all:

    I've been beating my head against a brick wall trying to figure this out
and I'm still no closer than I was two weeks ago.

    How do I specify a local file on my computer to use with fopen() on the
server?

    I've checked and the allow_url_fopen setting is set to On.  I use the html <input
type="file"> to let me browse to the file.  This, however, forces me to also POST the
entire file to the server, which I DO NOT WANT it to do.  I just wanted to be able to use the
<Browse> button to get to the file name.  But, even when I do this, the file name returned in
the $_FILES array doesn't give me a file name that fopen() will actually open.

    Do I somehow have to get the server to recognize my computer as an
http-based address?  If so, how do I do this?  The computer that has the file
to be opened is a Windows-based computer (running WinXP or Vista), and it
obviously has an Internet connection.  Do I need to retrieve, from the server,
my computer's IP address and use that, in whole or in part, to reference the
file to be opened?  If so, how?

    While I'm asking questions, does anyone know how to keep the file referenced in the
<input type="file"> setup from actually being sent?  All I think I really need
is the NAME of the file, not its actual contents, since I'm hoping to use fopen() to open the
file and then to use fgetcsv() to retrieve the contents.

    ANY help you all can send my way will be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance,

        Jon