Andrés Robinet wrote:
> [...]

I was stumped when originally reading your question. I guess I glossed
over the fact that you weren't using an absolute path for the log file.

the problem makes sense - the CWD is the directory of the script that was
called,
but during the startup/shutdown phases of php there is no script, the CWD is
then
whatever the CWD is of the process that started php - apache in this case.
additionally
some code may change the CWD and there maybe countless of other factors that
could effect
it.

I suggest always using absolute paths - of only to avoid little mind-benders
like this.

:-)