I got a strange problem here, here are the setup details first as this seems
to be a server problem more than a php problem but it is still related to
php configuration:

Server: Win2003 (latest)
WebServer: IIS6 (latest)
PHP: php5.2.2.1
MySQL: mysql.5

Sites installed in server that may have influence:

www.palliscience.com
dev.palliscience.com
maj.palliscience.com
dev2.palliscience.com

(All sites are installed using php5_ISAPI.dll)

Problem:

When i try to start a session in maj.palliscience.com (Same code as
everywhere else except the content may differ), the server hangs. I tried
for two days to find and make sure where this server hang was coming from
and eventually came to the solid conclusion that my server hang on
session_start. I tried to add different commands such as session_write_close
at end of my scripts and checked that my sessions where not already open by
using session_id.

The only way i was able to make my sessions work in maj.palliscience.com is
using the CGI version of PHP, but hell this is causing me problems i never
thought it would. I'm having problems with headers, and also the $_SERVER
variable is deadly different.

So my question is simple, what could cause this problem. Could it be a clash
in the filenames for the session files? I tried reading a bit the php.ini
and saw there is a way to split the session files in different folders but i
don't have the expertise nor the famous script the php.ini is talking about
in the session section to fix or alter this info correctly. (I can't start
tweaking this, there are other sites on the machine that are in production
mode so i need a final configuration that will work on the first try)

Keep in mind:

1) I got 3 other sites that sport the same code, only slightly different
content
2) All the sessions in the other sites work marvelously in ISAPI
3) Only maj is affected, i tried copying the code to dev2.palliscience.com,
problem doesn't show.
4) I can definitely say my sessions are problematic, i comment out any
session_start, and the problem nevers shows

Thanks

Mathieu Dumoulin