At 10:36 PM -0700 12/5/07, Mike Smith wrote:
I am trying to recursively send data to the same form.

-snip-

What is the best practice for doing this?

I don't know what the "best" practice is, but this is the way I do it.

In the form I have a hidden field called step that controls flow via POST..

Based upon that value, I use a switch to direct the flow to different forms -- all the forms have the same submit button.

So, it looks like this (pseudo-code):

$step = isset($_POST['step']) ? $_POST['step'] : 1;

<form action=self method=post>

switch $step
  {
  case 1:
  // present the form for step 1
  <input hidden step=2>

  case 2:
  // present the form for step 2
  <input hidden step=3>

  case 3:
  // present the form for step 3
  }

<input type=submit name=submit type=submit>

That way, it's simple to recursively change a form to gather information.

If you want to keep/store data in each gather, then either save it to a dB or do sessions.

It works for me.

Cheers,

tedd

--