I've checked $request previously and is not empty... it has something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<response>
 <ticketID>1197026188_ec76</ticketID>
 <status>KO</status>
 <errCode>500</errCode>
 <errMsg>Internal Server Error</errMsg>
</response>

The curious thing is that I've built this xml string with DOMDocument in my request... Then I suppose my Linux system has DOM support,