On Thu, January 3, 2008 8:30 am, Adam Williams wrote:
> I have a field in mysql as shown by describe contract;
>
> | length_start         | date                | YES  |     | NULL
> |                |

> Which stores it in the mysql format of YYYY-MM-DD.  However, I need
> the
> output of my select statement to show it in MM-DD-YYYY format.  I can
> select it to see the date in the field:
>
> select length_start from contract where user_id = 1;
> +--------------+
> | length_start |
> +--------------+
> | 2006-01-12   |
> +--------------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> so then I do my date_format() select statement, but it returns a NULL
> value.  Why?
>
> select date_format('contract.length_start', '%m-%d-%Y') as
> length_start
> from contract where user_id = 1;
> +--------------+
> | length_start |
> +--------------+
> | NULL         |
> +--------------+
> 1 row in set, 1 warning (0.00 sec)

There is not PHP in this question.

But to save you subscribing/posting/unsubcribing to the MySQL list:

You put apostrophes on 'contract.length_start' which makes it a
literal DATE.

MySQL silently ignores such a stupid-looking date, and makes it NULL.

Take away the apostrophes on the FIELD NAME and all will be good.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?