Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I'm wondering if there is a package out
there that can read in an HTML file and allow you to manipulate and dissect
it much like you can in javascript?  For example, functionality similar to
(though, not necessarily the same as) getElementById(), .innerHTML, etc.

I need to write a conversion script that reorganizes the contents of a large
number of HTML files and I'm hoping that there is something out there that
might make this task a bit easier.  I've done some searching on Google but
didn't really find anything.  I'm hoping that someone might be able to point
me to something I might have missed.

thnx,
Christoph