Richard Lynch wrote:

The $result may have many, many, many rows in it.
You can find out HOW many by using:
http://php.net/mysql_num_rows
This has already been resolved, but I'd like to learn what I can
from you re: your earlier comments, above.

Your take-home should not be that switching from mysql_fetch_row to
mysql_fetch_array somehow magically fixed it.

It wasn't. I thought it was that I was invoking var_dump(), print_r()
and "echo" at the wrong point to see what the output was. Also that
"echo" was an improper command to invoke.

It should be that iterating over the result set with any mysql_fetch_*
function instead of iterating over the columns within a single row was
what you wanted to do.

Well said, the point is driven home.

If you want to take a poll and find out who thinks I'm a butthead,
feel free.

No bet, I couldn't resist yanking on your chain a little is all.

If you expect me to care if you think I'm a butthead or not, you're
out of luck.

:-) :-) :-)

If you expect my feelings to be hurt as a result, you're in a
similar situation. :)

You may want to look through the PHP-General archives for posts and
see if I appear to be a butthead in general, or if you just mistook my
ATTEMPT TO HELP YOU for being a butthead.

Nope, that's not why. I mistook you for a butthead for your complete
failure to reply to other things, as backdrop for the presumptive tone
you took while addressing matters you would know had been resolved
already had you read through.

But maybe that's my fault. I appreciate the value you added to my
take-home lesson. Really and sincerely, I do. Looping over the
columns instead of the rows? That was stupid of me, your post
helped me see that error, thank you. You could have limited your
reply to that and we'd be two posts forward from where we are now.

Ulex