Janet N schreef:
Hi Richard,

They didn't installed PECL.  Is there a way to installed just PECL and not
overwrite their php configuration?

pecl is a wrapper/package manager for building/installing php extensions.
I believe you can install it by following the guidelines for installing pear:

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/installation.php

you get pecl when pear is installed - although you will need root access to
install
it.

then again you don't need to install pecl to build the java extension as such,
although you'll need root access to actually place the extension in the 'right'
place.

I noticed when I went to the PECL link I didn't see a PECL package download,
but I had to search for packages I wanted to install, what am I looking for?

to start with the source of the extension in question.
which is the following as far as I can tell:

http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/pecl/rpc/java

it looks like you have download it direct from cvs - doesn't seem to be
available anywhere
else.

once you have the source, cd to the directory containing it and run the
following commands

$> phpize
$> ./configure
$> make

with a bit of luck you'll then have a .so file that is your new extension,
now it a matter moving the .so to a suitable place (if you have root access, you
can run 'make install') and of editing php.ini to load the extension.

hth ... although if your anything like me it won't help until you've sworn at
the
output of ./configure and/or make a thousand times ;-)

you might consider the advice on php.net to try using the SOAP extension to
access your java stuff that way instead.

Thanks!