Is it possible that 4% of the time, you have spaces on the start/end
of the string, which get trimmed before encryption?

And if rijndael is one of the algorithms which requires a fixed-size
input, that also would be "bad" to trim it.  If you need multiple of
16 bytes input, leave the input alone.

Actually, I'd suggest that the encryption function has no business
trimming the text anyway.

If I want to jagencdecr(str_repeat(' ', 1000), 'E'), then I probably
don't want the function to trim that, eh? :-)

Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?
http://cdbaby.com/from/lynch
Yeah, I get a buck. So?