I think this would be an easier/quicker fix for you then requesting that the PHP developers re-write a large portion of the way PHP currently works.

<?php

function i($arr, $i) {
        return $arr[$i];
}

echo i(getUserInformation($id), 'naam');
#or
echo i($object->fetchObjects(), 0)->method();

?>

Stijn Leenknegt wrote:
Hello

I've an idea for PHP6. Let's kickoff with an example.

<?php
$info = getUserInformation($id); //return an array with all the information
of an user.
echo $info['naam'];
?>

This is nice, but when I want one element of the returned array, I have to
store the returned array into a variable and then call the variable.
The next code example is my idea.

<?php
echo getUserInformation($id)['naam'];
?>

Let's look further then this small example.

<?php
echo $object->fetchObjects()[0]->method();
?>

This example is more realistic when you use OO. This code style is faster
for developing applications. This code style is available in Java,
Javascript, C, C++, Perl, Python, ... So why not in PHP(6)? You can read
more on my blog.

http://www.eos-team.org/2007/09/06/php6-function-return-array-idea.html

I hope for good response and also response from php-dev team.

Greetings
Stijn Leenknegt

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare