On Sunday 20 January 2008 19:58:03 David Powers wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
> > I understand what you are thinking, but the fact
> > remains your address is already public for having posted to the list. It
> > seems you are getting bent out of shape because you aren't grasping this
> > fact. Dan hasn't done anything wrong nor does he owe any apologies or
> > concessions.
>
> I am not naive enough to think that my email address would have remained
> secret if Dan hadn't published the list. Unfortunately, this is the only
> newsgroup out of more than 20 that I regularly monitor or contribute to
> that exposes individual addresses. I have tried posting in the past with
> a munged address, but the post was rejected. I took the risk of using an
> address that had been spam-free for years in the full knowledge of what
> might happen. I did so, because this seemed a professional list, and the
> address remained spam-free for about a year after my first post. It's
> only within the last couple of months that spam has started coming in.
> Whether it's this list that's been harvested, it's impossible to say.
>
> Of course, anyone with the appropriate coding skill can harvest
> addresses from this list, as Dan has shown. I just don't think it's
> sensible for a responsible member to hand the addresses of 100 members
> on a plate to all and sundry. As I've said before, if Dan's response had
> been, "Sorry, that wasn't meant to happen," that would have been the end
> of it.
>
> And now this really must be the end of it.

You really don't get it yet? You distributed it, I knew your email long before
Dan did squat, didn't take any programming to acomplish that.
And for skills? I'm poor at regexp (as in I SUCK) but hell, even I could do an
harvest directly from postfix and you would come up time after time by your
own hand, a few mails more with the mention of your email wouldn't do any
difference, see; I got you one the first mail.

--
---
Børge Holen