I am trying to convert ms access sql to postgresql using php.

I have a sql statement in the form ;-
$sql = SELECT DISTINCT [Table Name].[Column.Name], [Table Name 1].[Column
Name 2] etc.

what I want to end up with is $sql = SELECT DISTINCT table_name.column_name,
table_name_1.column_name_2, ........

I have managed to get the caps to lower but I cant work out how to put the _
in place of spaces if the spaces are between [  ].   I either end up with
S_E_L_E_C ..... or SELECT_DISTINCT_ etc... .

Naturally I have only used part of sql statement and table, column names
have been changed. (Think the one I'm trying on is 2000+ characters. So its
not a case of set number of words/numbers between [] it could be 2 or it
could be 4 etc)

Anyone workout what I am talking about and can help would be appreciated.

Peter