On Jan 30, 2008 5:13 PM, Greg Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gentoo is a damn fun distro I must admit.. but using it for anything
> besides a development server seems very risky to me.  You've got the
> Gentoo creat0r running off to lick salt with the M$ weiners up in WA
> right when Gentoo was peaking in popularity.  In less than a year he
> realizes his mistake and comes back crying wanting to control stuff
> again as if he had never left.  Then just recently the Gentoo
> leadership forgot to renew the non-profit tax status paperwork!?!?
> With all that spare time waiting for things to compile I figured they
> wouldn't have forgotten about such an important task.  Do they not
> having meetings or whatever?

its a real sob story isnt it?  afaik, debian hit a pretty big trough a while
back before 4.0 came out.  anyway, ill say this much; i go to php.net
one day, there is an announcment, php 5.2.5 released.  so, instinctively,
i type emerge --sync; emerge php, and viola, php 5.2.5, customized for
my system, no sweat.  debian has 5.2.4 in unstable atm; ouch.

> And where's my 2007.1 release?  At the start we were getting a new
> Gentoo release four times a year.

live cd updates are mostly a convenience factor for new installs so they are
up to date w/o any subsequent installations.  but ya; i guess its kinda lame.

> bottom line is emerge breaks things, and the older the Gentoo install,
> the more likely the breakage will occur.

it seems to be working pretty well for me.  and ive worked at a couple of shops
that were free bsd / gentoo shops.  really no worse off than the debian shop im
at now.  in practice anyway.

> /configure --prefix=/usr/local/php5
> --with-config-file-path=/usr/local/php5/lib
> --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs --with-gettext --with-gd
> --with-jpeg-dir --with-png-dir --with-freetype-dir --with-xpm-dir
> --with-mcrypt --with-mhash --with-curl --enable-mbstring --with-zlib
> --enable-ftp --enable-sockets --enable-bcmath --with-bz2 --enable-zip
> --with-mysql --without-iconv
> --with-oci8=instantclient,/opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2
> --with-pdo-oci=instantclient,/opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2,10.2
> --with-pdo-mysql --with-pdo-pgsql --with-pgsql --with-ldap
> --with-openssl --with-ldap-sasl

i dont know man, im not a c guy =/, but i did look at mine, built via portage.
it looks like i have --enable-cli which from my reading on the php.net site
is enabled by default since 4.3 and since i dont see --disable-cli in ur config
im assuming it has to be enabled; so really, your guess is as good as mine :(
i would assume --enable-cli adds support for the interactive interpreter..

-nathan