"Larry Garfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Saturday 02 February 2008, Nikolay Ananiev wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> I've just released phppdo-1.0RC1. From the readme:
>>
>> PHPPDO is a database abstraction layer over the current PHP database
>> functions,
>> which aim is to offer a migration path for new applications to the PDO
>> classes
>> presented in PHP 5.1.
>>
>> Why a migration path?
>> Currently, most hosting providers offering a shared hosting do not
>> include
>> support for PDO in their PHP5 enabled web servers. That means most web
>> developers are stuck with the old database functions and can't migrate to
>> PDO.
>
> Do you have a source for that?  Any web host running a stock PHP 5.1 or
> later
> will have PDO.  They'd have to go to extra effort not to, at which point
> they're not a host worth using.  (The same applies to SPL, PCRE, XML, and
> bunch of other "optional but default" extension that only a suicidal web
> host
> would disable.)

I can't give you exact numbers. I'm working for a web development company
and
many of our clients have shared hosting. Since PHP 5.1 is out, the best I've
seen is
PDO with SQLite driver and nothing more. The reason
to create PHPPDO is because our framework makes
heavy use of PDO and we need to mimic PDO for hosts that don't have it or
don't have the required driver.