> your code should be portable

Except in reality, it probably isn't. Off the top of my head, think file
paths.

    Which is why I mentioned the exec() family.  Otherwise, relative
paths for includes will work regardless of the slash style (*nix / vs
Windows \) preferred by the OS.  Or is my as-still non-caffeinated
brain missing something obvious here this morning?

Well exec() et-al aren't the only thing that use paths. You might have an include/require that begins with "C:\" for example.

--
Richard Heyes
http://www.websupportsolutions.co.uk

Knowledge Base and Helpdesk software for £299 hosted for you -
no installation, no maintenance, new features automatic and free