On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 14:13 -0600, Shawn McKenzie wrote:
> If there aren't many files and you don't intend to grow this site much
> larger and intend to always have static HTML, any easy implementation
> would be to read each file and search for the terms either in the
> keywords tag or in the entire file.
>
> Optionally, if you're on a *nix host you could exec() a grep for the
> terms which returns the matching lines in an array and display as needed.

Wow, that has got to be the most inefficient lazy method I've ever
heard. I would never suggest such a route on a production server. His
original plan is much more efficient and is generally along the lines
how how search indexing works. As such for a simple site I'd do what he
suggest using a FULLTEXT field in the database, or as Greg Donal
suggested, use soemthing like htdig. A more involved solution would be
something like Lucene. Either way, you don't want to be scanning the
files on ever search request.

Cheers,
Rob.