Daniel Brown wrote:
On Feb 4, 2008 2:48 PM, Jason Pruim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Everyone! :)

Just a quick question, I've done some googling but haven't been able
to find what I need... I am looking at doing a search function for
someone's website, the website is just static HTML files, and she
doesn't want to redo the entire website to make it dynamic.

    I got bored, so I wrote out a system to handle it.  Let me know if
you want the source when it's done.

So did I... :)

Has options for searching recursively, case sensitivity, and displayable HTML only or the entire file. Also a restriction to limit which filetypes from the results it will display.

It only works on *nix, I used grep. Don't have to worry about cron, scheduled tasks, etc to refresh a DB. I have it searching about 7000 files that range from plain text 2k all the way up to 60meg binary zip files, and it is rather quick at it.

I think I will use this in my script testing area. I have already found it to be rather handy. Instead of trying to remember where something is, all I have to do is search for it. But now I don't have to log into my server and run grep from the command line. I hated having to do that just to find one script example.

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare