On 2/7/08, Daniel Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I've already checked that, and it's not set.
> >
> > it should be set to something, so fix that.
>
>    All other points being valid, Jochem, I disagree with this.  I've
> never forced a setting on any of my PHP installations, and so far
> (knock on wood) I've never had a problem.  I think PHP does a fine job
> of reading the server time and zone.
>
> --
> </Dan>

But I think Martin said, and my experience has taught me, that PHP 5 uses an
internal database of timezone info and does not reference OS time (I'm
assuming that's what you meant, Daniel, by "I think PHP does a fine job of
reading the server time and zone."). On one of the Linux web servers that I
maintain, I had the need to turn off daylight savings time, which was a
interesting task in itself. But I could never get PHP5 to honor the OS time
as it always changed when in DST. So I had add code to applications that ran
from that web server to test for DST and account for it in certain
displays. This was very different behavior form PHP4 where the same
applications ran just fine.

David