On Feb 9, 2008 11:48 AM, Mary Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I am getting tired of writing echo statements for almost every
> parameter, then deleting them while I am writing code.   I would really
> like a debugger which would work with my browser.  I have run across an
> open source one, Xdebug, and would like to hear of other's experience
> with it.  2.0.2 is, I believe, the latest release.

hi mary,
using xdebug for debugging involves the selection of a debugging client
besides
just the debugger itself.  with xdebug ive used Eclipse PDT, and
Protoeditor.
PDT was really smooth because if i did something in the browser like,
navigate
away from the current page for example; PDT seemed to capture that.  The
downside of PDT was a lack of directory mapping support (they may have it by
now).  what this is, is a way to tell your xdebug client where the files on
the
remote server are, that are on your local system (the ones youre debugging).
since PDT lacked this feature, i was unable to set breakpoints, which was
very
limiting.
protoeditor is cool, but i had some problems with it as well; in all it
didnt seem
nearly as smooth as PDT and it didnt seem to be able to capture navigation
away from the current page in the browser, also quite limiting.
one issue i had w/ PDT was personal confusion with the controls in the ui.
sometimes i would have to close down eclipse just to sort of reset things.
in general, i think youll find these tools neat to experiment with, but when
i was
using them several months back they didnt seem ready for prime time.
perhaps i should give them another look..

-nathan