Stut wrote:

>> Yes:
>>
>> mail( .... );
>> header("Location:http://domain.com";);
>>

>> mail() only takes as long as it takes to drop the mail in your local
>> filesystem.
>
> Not necessarily. As discussed at length on this list last month
> sendmail (or a substitute) may try to deliver the message rather than
> passing it to a local MTA.

True, a lot will depend on your local MTA.  If you're running postfix,
sendmail will always behave like I described.
If you're running a local MTA (local="on the same machine"), I would
expect sendmail to be very quick, but I have no experience with the
other MTAs (sendmail itself, exim, qmail et al.)

/Per Jessen, Zürich