On Feb 12, 2008 6:27 PM, Greg Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > /\ is a statement, not a question ;)
>
> Wow dude, you're a rock.  I meant my question was rhetorical, not your
> statement about my question.

well, my bad then; im just not clever like that i guess :D

> > > /me point Nathan to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question
> > >
> > > XSLT sucks, complete overkill.
> > >
> > the best part about xslt is its a standard, not some new contrivance
> from
>
> Creation does not prove usefulness.
>
> > some other corner of the galaxy like smarty.
>
> Well I certainly agree with that.  Smarty is like the fat cousin you
> hope doesn't show up to the 4th of July cookout.  But there's always
> some n00b developer who brings it up.. next thing you know the project
> manager thinks it's a good idea because his "designers" will love to
> use it (rofl) and then you're screwed.

haha;
i took a look at it when i was doing my initial research for a
templating solution roughly a year ago, but settled on xsl at that time.
i had done some previous research on xsl before then and it made sense.
since then i think its still pretty solid, but im working on my own little
template library where hopefully i wont have to deal with escaping in and
out of php, eg
<?php ?>
more template
<?php ?>

the main issue ive run into with it is my templates will be so small it just
will be too much overhead to splice them all together on a given page load.

> >  furthermore i dont think it overkill at all.  so lets see, what are you
> > rendering,
> > o, a subset of xml, xhmtl.  so its actually quite concise.  beyond that
> its
> > well
> > suited to target the output from an application to other potential
> clients
> > such
> >  as programmatic ones eg. web service clients or mobile devices.
>
> REST is the new SOAP.  Yaml is the new XML.  I'm guessing this news
> just hasn't made it into any PHP frameworks yet.

rest has its advantages, but it is by far a complete replacement for soap.
as per yaml, i dont know that i ever heard of it until you mentioned it on
the
ruby thread.  but that doctrine framework does apparently use it.
and if yaml does take off, ill be sure to tell everyone i discuss it w/ that
greg donald from php-general was on the yaml tip back in the day ;)

-nathan