On 2/12/08, Per Jessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Cache layers are cheap - it's a known science after all.  The key thing
> (AFAICT) about memcached is that is _distributed_.  You need this when
> you don't have session persistency (session being the client-to-server
> relationship).

correct. local file caching, APC, etc... but that doesn't really help,
since you'd be constantly throwing out data (acting as an LRU) and
have one copy of the data on each server is wasteful...

yes the thing that makes memcached the best is the distribution. it
also makes it not a requirement for cache persistency (if there is
such a concept...) not -just- sessions. session persistency to me is a
concept from the 90's...

memcached's distribution in action (20 servers) for example:

20 megs of data x 20 servers = 400 megs of data used total (local cache)
20 megs of data x memcache = 20 megs of data. 40 if you copied it
twice (using pecl memcache) to alleviate cache stampedes.