On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 17:04 -0500, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> i for one have mixed feelings on this issue.
> im tempted to agree w/ nick, but not entirely.
> my stance is this; implementing the iterator or
> related interfaces is transparent to client code;
> namely you can still use for each to traverse the
> collection.
> you also get to do things during the iteration, that
> would have to be done in client space otherwise.
> now, this isnt always appropriate, maybe not even
> most of the time, but this is handy in many occasions;
> here is such an example;
> http://propel.phpdb.org/docs/api/1.3/runtime/propel-util/CriterionIterator.html
> furthermore; i like the idea of a named group object;
> not to the point of absurdity; eg; implementing strings in
> php, rob; i get you point, but there are plenty of uses for
> an aggregate object within reason.

I wholeheartedly agree that there are plenty of uses for aggregate
objects, collections even. The argument though, is whether using arrays
is poor design. I'll leave it at this since I don't disagree with the
whole tenet of collections or grouping objects etc. I only disagree with
the assertion about arrays.

> and btw; your narratives are are just damned hilarious rob ;)

Take that Ted... I'm quitting my day job!! :)

Cheers,
Rob.