At 8:50 PM -0600 2/24/08, Larry Garfield wrote:
Design patterns are just that: A formalization of various common patterns that
come up over and over in programming.  Ever get the feeling "wow, I know I've
written something kinda like this at least three times now?"  That means it's
probably a design pattern of some kind.

Studying design patterns helps you recognize a give problem as being similar
to another, so the solution is probably similar.  It also can alert you to
common pitfalls and common ways around them.

I've read at least a couple of books on the subject and for something that's designed to make programming easier, I find it difficult to implement.

I'm more like -- "I've written something like this before -- I'm going to find my code and alter it" -- type of guy.

I'm sure it's my failing, but I program trees and not forest. From my perspective, you plant enough trees, the forest will take care of itself. Besides, every forest I've designed ends up a lot different than when I started. So I focus on trees -- it's simpler for me.

I think it's good to develop a methodology so that you can reuse past code, but the "design patterns' I've read about seem too abstract for me.

Cheers,

tedd
--
-------