Robert Cummings wrote:
On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 19:37 +0000, Stut wrote:
On 28 Feb 2008, at 19:17, Wolf wrote:
Jason Pruim wrote:
My editor automatically replaces like 4 spaces with a tab... Is there a reason not to use tabs instead of spaces? :)
I use spaces since when I indent with 4 spaces it is significantly easier to read the code then with 4 tabs...

   4 spaces are before this
                                4 tabs are before this

Pretty easy to follow code that does
{
{
 {
  {

Versus the alternative, especially with the character wrapping in vi and other text editors.

At least, that's IMO

YMMV
Except that if I inherit your code and I find it easier if it's indented to 8 spaces you've taken that choice away from me. Tabs are configurable on nearly all editors that exist in the world. If yours doesn't let you change the tab width, get a new one. But if you don't care about people who might end up working on your stuff, keep using spaces. Just hope you never change your mind.

It's almost a standard across the industry to use spaces. But hey, if
you wanna take away my choice to use spaces whenever I work on your code
down the very long line, that's fine. I'm just gonna use my JOE editor
to fix them and purify any mixed tab/space indentation. If your editor
can't do that then you should get a better editor ;)

Cheers,
Rob.

I use tab's in all my code, and replace them with spaces when posting/mailing for legibility.

couldn't imagine ever hitting space 4/8/12/16+ times to write a line of code when i can just tab/shit+tab to indent.