On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Warren Vail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually garbage cleanup can be controlled by writing your session handler
>  functions.  You can almost guarantee that noone else will step on your
>  session (with the possible session of the user who hopes to benefit from
>  this, by using a unique session id name, its in the manual under something
>  like set session handlers.

    I'll add to what Warren says about this with the following:

    Write your session data to a folder in your own account, not to
the server's /tmp folder.  A lot of sysops will remove session data
from /tmp on shared hosting servers on a regular (e.g. - monthly)
basis, which has a small chance that it will affect your end users
once each month.

    However, Ray also brings up the valid point that regular cookies
are much more persistent than session cookies.  By default, any
$_SESSION data sent to the client should expire when the session (and
PHPSESSID) expires - which is when the session (browser instance) is
closed.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>