On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eric Butera schreef:
>

> > On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >>  > Just FYI, using ADODB will slow down the performance of your app.  Any
>  >>  > function calls cost against you and it all adds up.
>  >>
>  >>  If you remove it, then you remove functionality - so before you go and
>  >>  rip it out, check whether it's the bottleneck using xdebug.
>  >>
>  >>  I use an abstraction layer all the time and the benefits far outweigh
>  >>  the 'costs'.
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >>  Postgresql & php tutorials
>  >>  http://www.designmagick.com/
>  >>
>  >
>  > Hi Chris,
>  >
>  > These 'benefits' you talk about really only matter if you switch your
>  > databases.  If this app is written against Oracle and they never plan
>  > to change it, then it isn't a bad idea to cut out that fat and just
>  > deal with the native interface.  Even writing wrapper functions that
>  > are very basic that abstract mysql_query or mssql_query end up adding
>  > a lot of overhead over lots of requests.  Look at some of the PDO
>  > benchmarks.  It is slower than the native functions too because it is
>  > just a wrapper.
>  >
>  > Even further if you are writing an app where you care about
>  > performance you should be writing your SQL to the point where it
>  > really isn't portable using all the little vendor specific features so
>  > that you get the most out of it.
>  >
>  > From my personal profiling most of my application time is spent in
>  > data access.  So the less layers you have there the faster it runs.
>
>  the adodb php layers are insignificant compared to the cost of the db
> connection
>  and the round trip to retrieve data from the db. the significant application
> time
>  you speak of is undoubtly spent at the database performing and retrieving the
>  data as opposed to measurable overhead caused by a [number of] wrapper
> function[s].
>
>  high probability that SQL related tweaks (indexing, query restructuring, db
> tuning)
>  will win you much, much more than removing any db abstraction layer
>

>  >
>  > But that is just my 2cents on it.  :)
>  >

Hi Jochem,

This is probably true.  I was just referring to an old benchmark [1] I
had seen a few years ago.

Of course the biggest win will come from an opcode cache if that is a
possibility.

Just for the record I do use a db wrapper myself but I have weighed
the pros and cons of the situation and determined that it works for
me.  I have many low traffic sites so it makes sense to have a wrapper
that delays connections until they're used and such other little
tweaks.

I listen to peoples recoded talks from conferences and I've heard on
many occasions that on single apps they take out the db abstraction.
I wish I could cite references but it is out there if you want to dig
enough.

[1] http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/