I'm using PHPLib as well and am not all that happy with it.

It was working just fine until our host decided to upgrade to PHP4.  After
that, any values being inserted to HTML using templates that had dollar signs
and values would not display!  For example, if you said admission was $15.00
all that would display was .00!!! argh!!  I emailed the phplib list and heard
others had the same problem.  The recent solution has been to modify your
phplib code, unfortunately that keeps you from doing a flash upgrade of any
future stuff.  Which brings me to the next problem.

IN a recent thread on the phplib mailing list titled "the future of phplib",
a number of interesting points were brought up.  In particular, the
developers of PHPLib don't feel 'Templates' is the solution any longer, and
they make the recommendation to the reader that they learn XML instead.
There is a post regarding the future of PHPlib at this URL:

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Web/195/125/4988613/

Unfortunately the site was down when I posted this email so I am unable to
quote anything from it.  You can make a decision regarding your current and
future projects based on the statement made in that post.

There are other template solutions, one being Fast Templates.  I did use this
at one time with success but ported to PHPlib because I required it for
sessions in PHP3.  There was also discussion about PHPLib Templates being
faster.  I am reading a book at the moment which lists two other template
alternatives but I am unable to make suggestions based on what I've read so
far

Rob