$var = $_POST['var'];

// validate $var

$foo = new foo;
$foo->setBar($var);

//======== CLASS ==========
class foo {
    public function setBar($var) {
        // validate $var

As you can see, the "issue" is that I am validating the input in my script, and then again in my class... surely unwanted duplication!? Obviously (I think!), I need to be validating at the level of my class, so does anyone have a pattern / strategy to help ease the pain... a way of using the validation in the class to validate the script and return meaningful errors to the user?? Throwing errors and forcing the script to catch them perhaps? I have tried a few validation classes etc and they have not really addressed this issue. Perhaps I should just live with it and get on with it! :)

Many thanks for your help, David

Well, you could try looking at using exceptions:

//==== CLASS ====
class foo
{
    public function setBar($var)
    {
        if ( var_is_NOT_a_valid_value_for_bar )
        {
            throw new Exception('Invalid value for bar in class foo');

// ===== Script =====
$var = $_POST['var'];
$foo = new foo();
try
{
    $foo->setBar($var);
}
catch (Exception $e)
{
    echo 'An error occurred: ',$e->getMessage(),"\n";
}

Take a look at http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.exceptions.php

--
Peter Ford                              phone: 01580 893333
Developer                               fax:   01580 893399