All good suggestions guys. Richard's has the advantage of solving the potential for a delay by the user's email server.

I'll have the user submit and tell'm to wait while I check the email address for them. Solves several problems.

Al wrote:
I'm scripting a simple registry where the user can input their name and email address.

I'd like to do a quick validity check on the email address they just inputted. I can check the syntax, etc. but want check if the address exists. I realize that servers can take a long time to bounce etc. I'll just deal with this separately.

Is there a better way than simply sending a test email to see if it bounces?

The Mail/RFC822 class in PEAR has a quick(er) static method for checking the format of an Interweb email address.

Mail_RFC822::isValidInetAddress()

IIRC

--
Richard Heyes