On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Sangamesh B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is one web portal product which is already developed using java
> tools.
> I don't know java, php or perl. But I can learn php quickly compared to
> java.

Learning PHP,Perl is very easy as compare to Java.

> My question is: Is it possible to develop such web portal using php &
> html?

Yea, is possible.

> Let me explain how the java portal/product works:
>
> The user logs in to the portal with his user name and password thru web
> browser by using a public ip or for example say xyz-portal.com
>
> The user name and password are the user names of the  Linux OS. So
> username
> authentication is required.
>
> In the next page, the user accesses  the preinstalled applications ( these
> are C or Fortran apps) and submits the job.
> While submitting the job, he is allowed to give the command line options
> and
> input file. The input files are present in his home directory. These files
> should be listed in combo box.
>
> It doesn't mean that, all installed apps in linux must be listed in the
> portal. There should be a mechanism to add a particular application to the
> portal ( part of administrator's work). And all apps which are to be
> displayed in portal are in a different dir, say /usr/local/bin.
>
> This portal is totally based on the server. i.e. The user accesses the
> portal and submits his application job from client system to run the job
> in
> the server. The client system uses only web browser. So other software can
> not be used to do this.
>
> Regarding php, I know that linux commands can be bypassed thru php.
>
> So can any one tell me whether this can be done using php with the above
> mentioned conditions/facilities?
>

> Thanks & Regards,
> Sangamesh

I think you can do all front end things in PHP and html and you can do all
system calls with Perl.
Perl will be fast and easy for all linux things.

you can refer this for calling Perl from PHP page -
http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1712

---