Your doing the same thing i did look at date(d)

When its the 31 like yesteday of course it can not find the 31 of months that
do not have them.
Thats why it errored.

String worked up till monday which explained alot. I just did not look at what
i was doing. changed the code to

$zomonth = date("F", mktime(0,0,0, date("m")-1, 1, date('Y')));
works perfect
thanks to dan who pointed out the lack of sleep in me :)

I generally use 1 hour after midnight with mktime() to avoid the edge
cases of daylight savings etc...

mktime(1, 0, 0, date('m') - 1, date('d'), date('Y'));

You also have to consider that you *COULD* call this right on the cusp
of midnight, and the call to date('d') could happen one day, and the
call to mktime( ) the next "day" as the clock ticked over...

At 1 am, the day doesn't change over...

Larry's probably right that you should use DateTime, but it's too
new-fangled for an old fart like me to have got around to messing with
it yet...