After reading the rest of the conversation, I think the best solution is the
next thing:
First, if I got this correct, you can extract the makes select-element from
the mysql using a query? if so, then extract it and host is in a temp
variable.
The next thing is writing down a js code, that contains an array of models
for each make. Personally, I'd use a 2 dimension array, the first dimension
for the make id/name and the second for the model id/name.
The 2 dimm. array you write with something like

> echo '<script type="text/javascript">var whatever = new Array();';
> foreach ($cars as $idx => $car)
>        echo 'whatever['.$idx.'] = "'.$car->getName().'";';
> echo '</script>';

as Zoltan said.
Then you have just simplefied it to a JS based script, i think this is the
best way you will figure out which does NOT contains AJAX, only static JS ;)

HTH,
Nitsan