On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Per Jessen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I'm curious - why?  To me php.ini seems to be exactly the kind of thing
>  you wouldn't the user to fiddle with - in a shared environment.

    To allow flexibility for the user, and give them the opportunity
to customize the account to their needs.  The rest of the monitors and
filters cover the server in case they do anything extremely stupid,
but other than damaging their own things by turning register_globals
on, or running their quotas to the limit allowed by the balancers
(exceeding their allotted memory usage, for example), they can't
damage the rest of the server.

    It should also be mentioned that all accounts on my servers are
chroot'd (jailed), with suExec running for each.  It's as if they're
the only one on the server (such as with a VPS), but without root
access, and with more limited resources.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
Ask me about: