Per Jessen wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:

I'm working on an application that includes e-mail notifications of
certain events. Because the application will have hundreds or
thousands of users, I've designed it so that e-mail notifications are
saved to a MySQL table. Then a regular cron job runs a php page to
select the data from the table, put it into a mail() command and mail.

Why not just send the notification at the time of the event?  (I assume
you update the database at the time of the event).

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Because in my experience, several hundred e-mails takes time to send, hence either the user leaves the page before all the mails are sent or the page times out before all mails are sent. And if there are thousands of e-mails, it will only get worse.

Jeffrey