I've run into a problem where mb_convert_encoding seems to be converting to ASCII, even though I'm telling it to convert to UTF-8. This is with PHP version 4.3.11.

I had been asking it to convert from "auto" to UTF-8, so at first I thought maybe "auto" was not the right choice. So I called "mb_detect_encoding" to see the format of what I was trying to convert; it said it was already UTF-8 (before I did the conversion). So then I thought maybe I got the "from" and "to" parameters backwards (although I was confident I was following the documentation), so I changed mb_convert_encoding to use "UTF-8" as /both/ the from and to.

It still converts to ASCII.

I understand that, given that it's already UTF-8, I don't need to convert it to UTF-8. But other things that I receive might /not/ be UTF-8, so I am still concerned with this.

Sample code:

  <?php
  $x = $_REQUEST['Minnie'];
  echo $x . ' ... ' . mb_detect_encoding ( $x ) . '<br/>';
  $x = mb_convert_encoding ( $x, "UTF-8", "UTF-8" );
  echo $x . ' ... ' . mb_detect_encoding ( $x ) . '<br/>';
  ?>

Output, when called with URL parameter "Minnie=Miñoso":

  Miñoso ... UTF-8
  Mioso ... ASCII

Then I changed the "from" so that I could try converting from something other than UTF-8:

  $x = mb_convert_encoding ( $x, "UTF-8", mb_detect_encoding ( $x ) );

And now, output when called with "Minnie=Mouse":

  Mouse ... ASCII
  Mouse ... ASCII

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.