"Richard Heyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> You obviously do not understand what "technically perfect" means when it
>> comes to data normalisation.
>
> Obviously.
>
>> That's why solutions which are thrown together are often incapable of
>> being expanded to include new requirements.
>
> I've never adovocated "throwing together" a solution. Merely that the
> solutions proposed by programmers or database designers aren't always
> necessary.

I never use databases which have been designed by others, especially DBAs
who have fancy but often unrealistic ideas on how databases should be
designed. I design the databases myself, then write the code to access them.
If I later find that I need to change the database design then I can do so
without having to ask anyone's permission.

> > If you create a "throw away" solution
>> then never try to expand it, simply throw it away and start again.
>
> For what reason? If you create a working solution and never try to expand
> it, chances are you don't need to, so what's the advantage in throwing it
> away and generating work for yourself in reproducing it?

Your experience in the real world must be very limited as it is often the
case where a customer starts off with a "simple" requirement then keeps
expanding it as time goes by as he dreams up more things that the system
should do for him. If at day #1 you say "these reqirements are very simple,
therefore require nothing more than a cheap and chearful solution which can
be thrown together in a few minutes" you end up with a system that is not
designed to be expanded. As soon as the first enhancement request comes in
you will find yourself on the tail of a snake.

--
Tony Marston
http://www.tonymarston.net