Hi.

I'm running a large website. I have some mailing scripts that take days
to run.

I noticed these scripts slow down with time, sometimes going to an
almost complete stop (no mail sent for several minutes).

The source code is trivial and can't contain a loop. I monitored the
memory usage and couldn't find a memory leak. Using APD, most of the
time is reported to be spent in the fgets() function (script waiting for
a sendmail reply). But sendmail still replies swiftly when this problem
occurs.

Restarting sendmail has no effect on these scripts. Restarting the
scripts makes them run like hell for some hours, until the problem rises
again.

I'm using PHP 5.2.5

I don't know where to look next for the source of this problem...